Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Team Effort Turkey Chili

Saturday, Dave made some macaroni and cheese that was just wonderful. He always makes a big pan of it, so we can have our mac and cheese that same day, then save some to mix with chili on another day. Today was that day. I'd been craving chili mac since he made this batch, so I decided today, that's what we'd have for lunch. There was only one problem...we didn't have a packet of chili seasoning mix.
Now those of you who know me, know that I have a few dishes that I'm good at, but beyond that, I'm not much of a cook. When Dave got home from lunch, I asked him if he knew how to make chili without a packet, and he told me he did (the big show-off). He didn't have as much time as he normally does, so as he went about his normal lunch hour routine, I chopped up an onion and a half, and browned 2 pounds of ground turkey (yes, this is a big recipe, but we'll freeze most of it to use later). After the turkey was browned, I added salt, pepper, and some adobo seasoning. I'm sorry I can't give precise amounts, but just season to your taste. By that time, Dave was ready to taste, and add the other needed spices; about 4 tablespoons of chili powder, 3 teaspoons of cumin. Again, these are just approximations. Use your own judgement. Then we added two cans of tomatoes, and let that simmer for about 10 minutes. Then a can of charro beans, and heat through. (I know. Beans in chili is the unpardonable sin for a Texan, but I love my chili this way). After the chili was done, he added some fresh cilantro, and there we are...Team effort turkey chili. We ate this mixed with the mac and cheese from Saturday, but it's just as good as is, with some crackers. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Glenda, it turned out really good, but if you're not a fan of salt, you might want to try less cumin or eliminate the salt. BTW, Dave told me I was a good food photographer. lol

    ReplyDelete