Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Friday, April 16, 2010

Memories

While looking through my things today, I found this blanket. I remember crocheting this the year I got married. That was October of 2002. I had decided earlier that year to crochet blankets for my parents, and each of my brothers and sisters for Christmas. I had finished most of them by the time Dave and I got engaged. After we got married, I got back to my project full force. I showed Dave the blankets I had finished, and told him of my goal to make enough of them for the families' Christmas gifts. I also asked him if he thought his mother would like one. He loved the idea, and chose this one for her. We packed it up, and sent it to Alabama. Not long after, we got a phone call from her, telling us how much she loved it, and she seemed to really appreciate that it was handmade. I met her in the summer of 2003, when Dave's family and I went to Alabama for vacation. I was so pleased to see that she had her Christmas blanket neatly draped across her chair in the livingroom. That let me know that not only did she really like it, but she also used it. Nothing makes a crafter happier than to see thier work used and enjoyed.
In 2006, when she passed away (at the age of 92), Dave inherited the afghan back. I had folded it neatly, and put it in my trunk for safe keeping, but now I want to display it. It's made of durable yarn, so the cats can't hurt it, and it's machine washable, so hair and dust isn't an issue. I'll never forget the way she displayed it proudly, and it's time it was once again put to use. I draped it across our rocker, and I couldn't help but smile. Even though she lived far away, and I only knew her for a short time, I'll always remember her fondly. I took a close-up picture so my readers can better see the design. It was such a pleasure to crochet, and also has really nice memories attached to it. I couldn't have hoped for more.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful afgan... I also have many memories attached to the afgans and quilts in my home. I love my afgan you made for me. It is a raisin color and stays on the arm of the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like it. I think it was in the batch I made that same year.

    ReplyDelete