Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Friday, September 10, 2010

Kool Aid Dyeing (Part 2)

Tonight's dying adventure has come to an end, and the results are hanging over my shower rod to dry. The solid yarn was dyed with five packets of Berry Blue. I've dyed solids a couple of times before, so I knew this one would turn out right...and I needed to know at least one would turn out right. The multi was dyed, using the jar method in this tutorial. The four jars of color were made with the following Kool Aid packets: 1 grape, 1 tropical punch, 1 pink lemonade, and the last jar was a mixture of 1 grape and 1 tropical punch. I wish I'd have omitted the red tropical punch section, but I think it will look alright once it's knitted up.
That concludes tonight's experiment. I had so much fun playing with color and yarn. I hope you'll give it a try.

8 comments:

  1. You didn't drink the leftovers did you? huh...You seemed pretty sleep deprieved last night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. The Kool Aid has to be unsweetened, and a couple of glugs of vinegar sets the color. Not very tempting at all. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true can't wait to see the finished knitting

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very pretty shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used that flavor before, but not as many packets. I think I gave that hank to an oddball snuggler, so I can't compare them, but if I remember correctly, that one was just a bit paler. It was also very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THe red hued one looks verigated. It will probably work up real pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will it be colorfast? It's kind of scary to know a drink we give our children is also a good dye...do you know if the dye in the drink mix is natural or artificial?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue color should be longer lasting, because of the added vinegar. I'm not sure why, but I didn't do this with the multi. I'm not sure what sort of dye is in Kool Aid, but it's not that unusual for certain foods to stain. Remember the Kool Aid mustache?

    ReplyDelete