Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm Brilliant

This week, I discoved ants in my bathroom. I can't imagine why they are going after Annie's food and leaving all the other food alone, but that's what is happening. I don't feel she's quite brave enough to return to the main feeding area, and I don't feel safe spaying chemicals in such a confined area. I tried spraying them with water, and wiping them up. That only takes care of the ones that are out at the time. I thought of moving the food to another area, but I know the ants will find it no matter where it is. Then it hit me. There is a product on the market called an ant mote, which protects hummingbird feeders from ants. The mote is filled with water, and hung just over the feeder. I have one, and I know it works, because ants can't cross that barrier of water.
With this thought in mind, I took a food bowl (the old fashioned, bottom heavy kind), and turned it upside down. The upside-down bowl serves as little shelf for a smaller bowl of food, while the hollow area is filled with water. You now have a water barrier the ants can't cross. After your cat eats, you may have to check for fallen kibbles on the floor, because they're still ant magnets. Ok, how do I get a patent?

2 comments:

  1. That is a neat idea. And your new dish is really neat. For future reference.. You can run off the ants with a mixture of dawn dish washing liquid and water. BC used to carry around a gallon jug of it to run off ants in the Lollypop play ground. I'm not sure of the ratio but Norma might know or you could find out. I guess dish liquid wouldn't harm cats but I know you could find that out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if that would work. I know you can use a dishsoap/water mixture for aphids. I just use a couple of drops per large spray bottle.

    ReplyDelete