Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, August 16, 2010

Mantis Trouble

Yesterday, I discovered I have a huge problem. When Dave and I got home from church, we noticed a praying mantis had stationed its self on the front yard hummingbird feeder. Dave shooed it away so we could change out the sugar water, but this morning it had returned. Not only that, but another mantis had claimed the side yard feeder. A long time ago, I had watched a discovery channel show about the praying mantis, and learned that they have been known to occasionally feed on hummingbirds. I googled this to see if I was remembering correctly, and found out that not only is it true, but it happens quite often. I rushed outside, grabbed the hose, and gave each feeder a good spray, only to find the mantises (is that the correct plural?) had returned. So I've spent today, going back and forth, indoors and out, to spay the hummer feeders. If the manti (is that the correct plural?) return when Dave is home, I'm going to have to ask him to dispose of them. I know that's harsh, but I can't spend my days worried that I've lured hummingbirds to thier deaths. I have no great love for mantises (?) anyway, but I've learned to tolerate them because they're good for the garden. However, I have no tolerance for the ones that lie in wait to ambush defenceless hummingbirds, because they're too lazy to forage for insects. I'll take my feeders down if I have to.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. I am sorry to hear about this. I don't know the plural but I have a huge aversion to them. They seem so creepy to me. Hope you are able to get rid of the problem!! Remember those really huge ones we use to see in Irving. And they were so hard to kill. No swift hit with a brom would do the trick. We had one house they got into bad. I don't remember which one. UUUUggg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the ones you're referring to, but I have seen some big ones. I turned my hose attachment to "powerwash" and the one out front hasn't been back so far. Dave dispenced with the other one. I can't believe this, but I feel a little guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are the only bugs that I remember Mom hated so much......

    ReplyDelete