Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Crocheted Cotton Cloths

It all started last week, during a Hobby Lobby visit. I had originally gone in to pick up a size H Tunisian crochet hook, needed to make a shawl from my latest issue of Interweave Crochet. While shopping around, I found a booklet of crocheted dishcloth patterns, some of them very pretty. It had been marked down to $6.57, so I bought it. What a great buy that was. I've already finished three of them, and there are several more I plan to make. The book is called Learn-A-Stitch Crochet Dishcloths, and I recommend it to anyone who like so crochet. I just have two warnings-Warning number one is that the dishcloths are huge. I love big dishcloths, so they are perfect for me, but I just wanted to warn ya'll. Warning number two is that I've found a few mistakes in some of the patterns, but they were very easy to figure out.
Before I sign off, I'd like to mention one more thing. I've been asked by many if I actually use these dishcloths, and how well they hold up. The answer to the first question is yes, I absolutely use them. How well do they hold up? Quite well, actually. The biggest problem people have mentioned is color fading. The other issue people have complained about is odor. I, personally, have never experienced either these complaints. After I wash dishes (and I do this with store-bought cloths, too), I rinse my dishcloth through, wringing out as much water as I can, then I hang it on the faucet to dry. This process keeps the cloth from accumulating smells, and allows you to use them several times between washings. Color fading? Yes, some of the colors fade, but I guess it doesn't bother me. I think it makes them look homey and loved. For those of you who don't want your colors to fade, I recently read that you can soak your cloths in a vinegar/water solution to set the color. Out of curiosity, I did this with my new granny square cloths. I haven't washed them yet, but as soon as I do, I'll let you know if the vinegar trick worked.

4 comments:

  1. Did you find your H hook. I have an H hook but it is a straight one.

    I love your cloths. My favorite is the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes, I found my hook. The pattern calls for a G an lace weight yarn, but I'm going to use fingering weight yarn, so I'm going up a hood size. It's a shawl, so it isn't like guage is crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that green one, too. I thought you had that one you was showing me the other day in that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did, but I changed to the picture of the green one I just made, so my post would look more colorful.

    ReplyDelete