Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Friday, July 2, 2010

Knitting Garterlac Dishcloths

I recently tried a new dishcloth pattern called Garterlac. It's based on entralac knitting, but done in garter stitch. This is a technique that has always intrigued me, but I lacked the confidence to try it. Dishcloths are perfect for this situation, because they provide a way to try new patterns in a small project form. I personally find this less intimidating than starting a big project, using a method I'm unfamiliar with. If it doesn't turn out well, who cares? It's a dishcloth.
After knitting just one of these cloths, I knew this pattern was a winner. The designer does a great job writing this pattern so that its easy to follow and understand, and the multiple directions in entralac knitting showcase these variegated colors beautifully.
Yesterday, I decided to try a little experiment. I took a full skein of variegated Lily cotton, hoping to get a garterlac and a ballband out of the same skein. It looked like it was going to work, but I ran out with three brick sections on the ballband to go. Luckily I had a similar color to finish it off, but even if I hadn't I think it would have been ok. Ballbands look fine with multiple colors.
More information, and the pattern for the Garterlac dishcloth can be found on the designer's blog. Just click here.

2 comments: