Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Taco Salad Day

Taco salad is the perfect lunch when it's hot outside, and you don't want to spend lots of time in the kitchen. Here is my recipe for this fast, easy meal. It had been so long, I'd forgotten how delicious it is.

Easy Taco Salad

1 lb ground meat
1 chopped onion
Taco seasoning packet
1 can of light red kidney beans (or your bean of choice)
1 packaged salad (we like just plain garden mix)
Veggies of choice
Grated cheese
Tortilla chips
Salsa if desired
Brown ground meat together with onion. Add your taco seasoning packet, and just enough water for easy mixing. When all the mix is disolved and evenly distributed, add can of beans and heat through. While that is heating, open your salad package, and prepare your veggies. We used grape tomatoes, cut in half, and black olives. Dave added chopped avacado to his, but I passed on that. Sprinkle cheese on your salad, and top with meat/bean mixture and salsa of choice (we had some of my cousin, Yvonne's, homemade salsa). You can either have your chips on the side, or crumble them up on top. Very tastey. :)

3 comments:

  1. Bitsi, we used to make it with Ranch Style Beans and used the liquid in these beans to mix the seasoning in...do I remember that correctly..I haven't made this in a long time..great idea to assemble it as you eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped using ranch style beans because I found out they have animal fat in them. It's probably not enough to hurt a healthy person, and I'm sure I'd still use them if I didn't like kidney beans so much. I add water, because I always drain canned foods. It's probably not necessary, but it's one of my things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always make it as you eat because no one likes it left over if it is mixed and there are only two of us

    ReplyDelete