Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Felting

Felting occurs when a project, knitted or crocheted with 100% wool is agitated until the fibers break down. I'd always shied away from felting, but last year my curiosity got the better of me and I tried it. As with any new tecnique, I needed a push to try it. I went to Ravelry, and explained that I wanted to try felting, but was a little intimidated. Just like every other time I needed encouragement to try something, they came through for me. I was directed to a pattern for a felted fish-shaped cat toy, a project small enough to use my wool yarn scraps. If the project was a flop, no useable yarn is waisted, no harm done.
Well, the project was a success, and very easy. I knitted up two fishes, hand felted them in the sink, then put them on top of the washer to dry. Afterward, I stuffed them with polyfill, rolled in dried catnip, and inserted a bell. At first the cats were a little freaked out by them, but they soon were playing and throwing them around with the other toys.
Since then, I've found many felted projects I'd like to try, but for some reason, I haven't made any of them. In fact, I haven't felted again. Maybe I should look at those patterns again...

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, how would I look in a felted fedora?
    Oh, that's right, just like a dork in a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can find a pattern for a felted fedora, I'll sure make it...but then you HAVE to wear it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a lady on DIY channel doing that..you know the one that was so ditsy..can't think of her name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only knitting show I remember from DIY is Knitty Gritty, but I don't think it's on anymore. Vicki Howell is the hostess of that show. I think she probably appeals to a younger crowd than I belong to, but everyone who's ever met her says she's extremely nice. I was glad to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The show I am talking about this old lady does all different kind of crafts..not just knitting..I can see her face..can't remember her name..I no longer get DIY..ggrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the hosts name..Carol Duvall..remember her

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that name, but I never watched her show.

    ReplyDelete