Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Friday, April 15, 2011

Herbs

Time for a little break in the rose parade to show the changes I've made to my herb pots. Last year, I planted in wire baskets with coco liners for the first time. I'd never used them before because I was afraid they'd dry faster, needing more frequent waterings. I was pleasantly suprised at how well they held the moisture. Even during the heat of the summer, they didn't need water any more often than the other pots. This year, when the perinnial herbs returned, I got another nice surprise. My oregano had pushed its way through the coco liner, and began to trail down the side of my window box. Beautiful. I liked it so much that, when I thinned out my mint garden, I cut another slit in my window box, and stuck a few sprigs though. It took root, and is growing nicely beside that oregano. Of course, I had to add basil, because we use it more than any other herb, but I also placed a marigold in that pot for color. I also planted a geranium in the pot with my lemon thyme (I'm really liking the addition of flowers to my herb gardens). Another change I made involved no new plants. I can't believe this, but I'm actually having fun, seeing the changes that can be made with little shopping and buying. I had two potted herb gardens from years ago. I guess I had over filled them, because the onion chives had taken over one pot, with the exception of a little sprig of purple sage hanging onto life. In the other pot, nothing survived but sorrel. These plants have been growing strong since 2006, with very little effort on my part. This year, I decided to repot them (about time, huh). Just a simple repotting was all I had in mind, but after I got into the task, I wanted to have a little fun. I divided the sorrel, and the onion chives, and placed a secion of each into the new pots (actually, recycled pots from last year). I left the purple sage with one of the sections of chives, because the roots were so entangled. So one finished pot contains onion chives and sorrel. The other pot, much bigger in size, contains sorrel, onion chives, and the sprig of purple sage. Still the bigger pot had space available, so I divided off a small section of the new basil plant to fill that hole. I'm very happy with the results. It's a great feeling to have a completely new looking herb pot without having to buy a bunch of new plants.

2 comments:

  1. good job. Very pretty and helpful with the cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the energy to plant something. It is nice to hear about your experiences. Herbs grow crazy and you get hooked on using fresh herbs instead of bottled ones.

    ReplyDelete