Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, April 4, 2011

Fun Crochet Memories

It was probably about 15 years ago (give or take), when I had borrowed a crochet afghan pattern from my friend. Kim and I worked together at Unique Image, the salon where I used to cut hair (she, in fact, still works there). We both loved to crochet, and on slow days, we used to sit in the breakroom, and crochet on our afghans in progress. On one occasion, I had admired a double layered shell pattern she was working on, so she lent me the pattern. That pattern was so much fun, it wasn't long until I'd had it memorized, and had made several as gifts. During a recent visit to my sister's house, I retrieved the one I'd made for my mom. I freshened it up with a good wash, and now have it draped across the back of my couch. Of course, daily seeing it lying there, has revived my interest in the pattern. It had been so long since I'd made one, and I didn't even know where to begin. I tried crocheting a swatch to jog my memory. I had the concept in my mind, but not the numbers. After an exhaustive google search, I started a thread on Ravelry. Still no luck, though we all tried very hard. Finally, I decided to just give Kim a call, and ask if she still had the pattern. No, she no longer had the written pattern, but I was still in luck. This is her go-to pattern when she needs to make a gift, or just wants to crochet, so she was able to fill in the question marks for me. It was a lot of fun to get in touch with her, and talk about this afghan. It was almost like I was sitting in the breakroom at Unique Image, crocheting with my friend. Why I didn't just call her first, I'll never know.

1 comment:

  1. how wonderful. Mom was like that with the ripple afghan. she kept wanting the perfect pattern. I have one in red, black, and white she made me and another in purple and white. I love them, I love all afghan. Can't believe my hands just won't crochet.

    Glad you got in a good chit chat with Kim. Renewing with friends is always fun

    ReplyDelete