Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, December 3, 2012

Bah!

Our house is cozy and festive. The tree is up, and we finally get to use the new ornaments and decorations we bought from shopping after Christmas sales. Today should have been a great day, but I'm sorry to have to admit I did not have an enjoyable day of decorating.
First of all, I only had about four hours of sleep, after spending the night in a state of worry (that's another story). Normally, it doesn't matter how late I stay up, because I don't work outside the home. I actually prefer the peace and quiet of the night hours. But, anyway, Sundays are the only days I get up early, and I was already tired when we started.
The next (and biggest) cause of my crankiness began when I decided to try something new. My big tree rotates. I've never used this feature, because I never before, had enough ornaments to fill up such a big tree, front and back. Thanks to the previously mentioned after Christmas sales, that was no longer a problem. I started the tree rotating, thinking it the best way to evenly distribute all my new pretties. Big mistake! The tree turns slowly, but faster than I needed it to. I need time to place an ornament, examine its surroundings, then position just the right way to show it off to its greatest advantage. I did not have time to do this before the area was gone from sight. So I would have to stand, holding said ornament until the tree rotated back around, but by then I'd forgotten where I wanted to hang it. Needless to say, it took me all afternoon, and part of the evening to finish trimming my tree, I only THOUGHT I was tired before.
Poor Dave didn't fare much better. I have to stop here, and explain that after Christmas last year, I was so psyched.  I had bought some new ornaments, and had so enjoyed having new things to display, that I was already planning the next year's decor, hence the the many references to the after Christmas sales. During one excursion to Hobby Lobby, we bought nine large shatterproof, bright red Christmas balls. These, we decided (ok, I guess I decided), would look super cute hanging from the plant hooks surrounding our front porch. They totally do, but when I recall the hours of decorating hell Dave went through, trying tie all that fishing line with his huge fingers, I have to ask myself, "Was it worth it?"
Hopefully, tomorrow, when I see the results of all our work with fresh, non-exhausted, not frustrated, and non OCD (without the C) eyes, the answer will be "Yes!!"

1 comment:

  1. Hope you enjoy your day after doing...tree because it is beautiful and so worth it...

    Looking forward to Christmas with the Johnsons

    ReplyDelete