Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mood Swings

It's unbelievable how quickly it happens. I was so happy yesterday, soaking in the sunshine and fresh air. After I finished writing my blog, I decided to have my dinner outside. I was sitting on my porch, looking out, and remembering how nice it felt to bury my hands in a bag of potting soil, when it happened. An intrusive thought. They often come to me, usually in the evening, during a time of reflection, and when I'm alone. Most of the time they derail me, sending my thoughts in the opposite direction, and by the overnight hours, I'm well on my way to a depressive episode.
It's so frustrating! I recognize it when it starts, I know where it's going, I even know it's unreasonable, but I can't stop it.  All I can do is distract myself until it passes. I think the worse thing about my illness is the fear. I live with almost constant fear of the future, brought on by my losses in the past. I don't know how to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment