Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, February 4, 2013

Using Some Stash

I don't remember what year it was, but it was shortly after I started knitting.  I had been reading in several online forums about the phenomenon known as the LYS (local yarn shop).  Here is where they sell higher-end yarns made from natural fibers, such as, wool, silk, linen, and cotton.  The Woolie Ewe in Plano, TX, has been my LYS of choice, and it is here, where I discovered baby alpaca in a chunky yarn.  I don't think I've ever felt anything softer.  I picked up a skein of Baby Alpaca Grande, a Plymouth Company yarn, and a one skein scarf pattern (I could only afford one skein per visit).  Through the years, I've picked up single hanks of chunky baby alpaca from different yarn stores, but having grown tired of that pattern, I had them stashed away.  
Last week, I discovered another scarf pattern, perfect for those single hanks of yarn.  It's called Big Lace Scarf, and can be found in the book "More Last-Minute Knitted gifts" by Joelle Hoverson.  I love this book, and I love this pattern.  
This scarf was made with a single hank of Misty Alpaca Chunky.  When it first came off the needles I was a little worried it would be too short, but after blocking, the scarf is plenty long enough to tie once around the neck, with the tails draping down.  
I have three more single skeins of chunky alpaca yarn.  They finally will be getting the attention they deserve. :)

Just to clarify: I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm a yarn snob. I still love to visit Hobby Lobby and Joann's, and will not hesitate to buy a good, sturdy acrylic.  For afghans, machine washable is the only way to go.

1 comment:

  1. I love the scarves that you have been making. You are so talented. I love you
    I really enjoyed the meeting last night

    ReplyDelete