Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, February 25, 2013

Using More Stash

Lately, I've been going through my stash, and rediscovering all those small amounts of yarn I bought when I first discovered small yarn shops.  These yarns are made with natural fibers, and imported from different companies throughout the world.  As a result, they tend to be pricier, and while I can't afford to buy much from them, I would often buy one or two balls of yarn to treat myself.  On one occasion, I came away with two 72 yard hanks of Reynolds Rapture, a bulky weight, incredibly soft 50/50 blend of wool and silk.  Amazing! 
I was so excited to have this beautiful yarn, but I soon discovered that there are very few patterns for such a small amount of yarn.  I put it in my stash, and as embarrassed as I am to admit this, I eventually forgot it.  I became one of the many small purchases that got lost in the shuffle during my beginner buying sprees. I came across it again a few weeks ago, when I cleaned out my yarn stash.  As happy as I was to rediscover this yarn, I was sad to find that it had been discontinued. I toyed with the idea of listing it  on my Ravelry For Sell/Trade page.  You never know if a fellow Raveler has run out of yarn for a project, and can't finish it because the yarn is discontinued.  Maybe I have just the yarn and color they need.  This is going to sound incredibly selfish, but when I took the yarn out of my storage bin, and held its softness to my face, I just couldn't part with it.  Surely there is SOMETHING I can make with it...and two days ago I found it!  The perfect pattern for my Rapture yarn!  
The pattern is called The Simplest Cowl, designed by Jessica Rose, and published in The Fiber Gallery.  All you need is 150 yards of bulky weight yarn.  My two hanks of Rapture equal 144 yards, which is a little short, but close enough.  I just knit until I ran out of yarn.

Here is my new cowl posing with one of my hoya plants. I'm so happy!  I can wear this simple but beautiful cowl anywhere!
I am so pleased to be using so much stash yarn.  It's freeing up some space in my storage bins, and giving me some beautiful knits to wear in return.

2 comments:

  1. I am happy with you. I hope we get to visit a little while before prayer meeting.
    Mom would be so proud of your hobby and would be thrilled with the things you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of projects and garden things. I love the puzzle scarf.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete