Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, August 1, 2011

Nervous Habits

First of all, I'm happy to report that our singing at Spring Lake Baptist Church went well. Normally they do, but even when they don't people tend to be forgiving. Why, then, do I make myself a nervous wreck during the time leading up to these singing events? Even the monthly Saturday Singings at my own church, make me cringe.
Yesturday, after our morning service, a nervous habit of mine was brought to my attention, by my wonderful husband. Our church had used that Sunday morning to run though some of the songs we had planned for later that evening. I don't have much confidence in my ability to sing anymore. Last year, during the winter months, I had lost my voice during a bout of flu. Fortunately, my voice has returned, but unfortunately, my ability to control it has diminished. When a note gets away from me, I have a tendancy to make a face. This isn't a big deal at our church, because I can hide behind the mic, but the sound system is completely different at Spring Lake. Instead of indivisual mics, they have a single mic attached to the rostrum. This mic is designed to pick up the sound from all around.
During the drive home from our morning service, I told Dave that I need to really watch myself that night. Since I don't have my own mic to hide behind, I'll have to really pay attention, and not make a face when I hit a bad note. Dave answered me with, "...or wring your hands."
Apparantly, I get so nervous when I sing that I wring my hands. Thanks Hun, for pointing that out...

8 comments:

  1. your songs that you chose were annointed even at our service so I know they went well. Yep, you do wring your hands but I look at the ceiling so I probably look like a demon when I sing from exorcist or something. But I do it for God , so whatever the people think of my habits does not bother me. However I do want them to enjoy the song and annointing...We had company so we didn't go. Some of our friends from NL were here, but we prayed about ya'll and I trust it was perfectly what the Lord wanted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone has these little nervous habits. We have to learn to embrace them or try to break them if they are affecting us badly. If I had to sing in front of other people I would probably faint, projectile vomit, or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get this before prayer service. Perry just called and he is swamped at work. He may have to work until 9pm. He has been there since 8am. All this work is a good thing but I am worried about the heat. Be sure to request prayer for Perry. He needs safety from the heat and we need RAIN!!!Lord, please send rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got it, and will add him to the list. Please be praying for Barbara Ann. She's in ICU, and not doing well at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will pray and hopefully be at prayer meeting. I feel like I need to go so badly.

    Barbara Ann is on a ventilator. I haven't hear anything since one-ish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I talked to Peggy today and she said she didn't believe she had ever heard you sound better. She said that Dale had made a comment, too about how it just flowed...

    ReplyDelete