Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Friday, May 24, 2013

To Weave Or Not To Weave...

For the last two days, I've ventured outside my fiber craft comfort zone, and dipped my toes into the world of weaving.  Ewe-nique Creations, our local yarn store, now sells Cricket Looms from Schacht Spindle Company.  Unlike the intimidating floor looms most people, myself included, associate with weaving, these looms are small and portable.  I was introduced to one of these looms during one of my visits to Ewe-nique. One of the owners had hers set up with the beginning of a summer scarf in progress, and I got a chance to weave a few rows into it.  I must say I was intrigued, but at the time, I didn't give owning a loom of my own much thought.
Last week, during my panic trip to buy more yarn for my Haruni, I was again drawn to the loom sitting on the table.  I began to ask more questions about weaving, and was invited back to spend some time learning how to use this loom.  I went back Wednesday, and spent several hours weaving, and getting to know the shop owners.  I found out the owner of the loom is like me, in that she loves to start projects but has trouble staying focused enough to finish them.  I can definitely relate to that feeling!  I finished up the scarf for her on Thursday.  How fun!  These are a few photos I took with my phone while I was at the store:

I took this picture to show the compact size of the loom.

I zoomed in so you could see the work in progress, and get a general idea of how the loom works.

This is simply a closeup of the woven fabric.
I had a great time learning about a new craft, but I barely scratched the surface of what weaving is about.  I must confess I've begun to like the idea of owning one of these looms and weaving scarves of my own. Then I think of the expense.  I've talked myself out of it, and back into it several times.  So will I soon add weaving to my list of hobbies?  I just don't know yet.

3 comments:

  1. looks beautiful. I am sure Dave will stand with your decision. Love you, we will be on the road tomorrow. I am excited about that too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really cool. Does it use the same types of yarn that you already have or do you have to have special yarn?
    Are those green things sticking out part of the pattern or are they some type of place markers?
    See you tomorrow. Looking forward to the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can weave with any yarn. Those green flags were part of the yarn. The woman who started this scarf like more whimsy than I do. I wouldn't have chosen it for myself.

    ReplyDelete