Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, May 13, 2013

Product Recommendation!

During the course of my knitting life, I have tried many different wool washes for my hand knits.  Soak, Eucalan, and Kookaburra have become my favorites, and I'll continue to alternately buy them all, but as of last weekend, Kookaburra has risen to the position of absolute favorite!
This was a perfect job for my new drying rack.  Dave bought this from Walmart for my non-dryer friendly clothes.
It all started several months ago.  I was browsing the Hobby Lobby yarn section, as I love to do, and came across a skein of Lion Brand Homespun Thick and Quick.  I don't work with this yarn often, because it has a tendency to split, but I just couldn't resist this color.  One skein of the super bulky weight yarn is all I need for a beautiful, fall colored scarf.  I did what I swore I'd stop doing, and bought this yarn without a pattern in mind, which meant setting it to the side until I came across one.  Instead of packing it away, I put it in one of my decorative baskets in the craft room for future use.  It was last week, when I began to think more seriously about a use for this yarn.  When I picked up the skein to check the label for yardage amount, and noticed it was damp.  Oh no!  That can only mean one thing in my cat-filled house.  It only took one sniff to confirm my suspicion, and remind me of why I always pack my yarn away as I purchase it.
After I finished berating myself for my easily preventable mistake, I went to work.  I used the foot board of the twin bed in the craft room to unwind my skein into a ring.  With contrasting waste yarn, I tied each end down, then evenly spaced two more ties around the ring.  This makes the yarn ring less likely to tangle on its self during the soaking process.  I filled the sink with cool-ish water, then added my Kookaburra wool wash.  I soaked it for double the recommended time.  After removing it from the water, I used my waste yarn ties as guides to reposicion my yarn back into a ring.  I squeezed out, and towel dried my yarn before putting on the drying rack on the back porch, where It's been since Saturday night.  After the yarn dried, I was planning to give it another soak in Natures Miracle to get rid any last traces of urine smell, but to my surprise, the smell is completely gone!  Kookaburra Wool Wash alone did the trick!
So yes, I'll still buy the other two brands just because I like different scented woolens, but wool wash that can get rid of cat urine smell deserves a permanent place on my cleaning shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment