Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hoya Cutting Progress

These cuttings are from my Hoya Compacta plant, which I snipped back in October of last year.  Fall is not the best time to take cuttings, so I used the following method to trick them.
I placed each cutting (three to a pot) into a mixture of perlite, peat moss, orchid mix, and regular potting mix, then gave  each pot a good water.

I, then, placed each pot into a zip-lock bag, closed the top, then placed them on the counter and under my cabinet lights, creating a greenhouse effect.

I checked them often, but yesterday, I was rewarded.  These are roots coming out of the holes in the bottom of the pot.  Success!
I normally root my plant cuttings in water, but the hoyas weren't rooting.  This is the first time I've used this method, and I highly recommend it.  Now to begin the process of hardening the new plants.  I'll reduce the humidity by leaving the bags unzipped for a few days before I take them out. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment