Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dave's Hand Knit Socks

Since the year I learned to knit socks, a new tradition has formed. Dave gets a new pair of hand knit socks every Christmas. It didn't start this way. I knit my first pair of socks using Silver's online sock tutorial. I was so mezmarized by the process, and beyond delighted with the fact that I had knit a real sock...with my own two hands! Words just can't describe the feeling of accomplishment that gave me. For the next several months, socks were all I wanted to knit. By the end of the year, I had knit socks for all my sisters, nieces, and, of course, my husband. I had finished Dave's pair as fall was approaching, so he wore that first pair a lot. Each night, before he settled in to gather his news for the next day's broadcast, he'd put on those socks. He loved them so much, I made him a pair for Christmas, and that was the start of our new tradition. Below, are photos of the socks I've knit for Dave though the years.

It all started in 2006. Sadly, I don't have a picture of that first pair, but if you'll imagine these socks in green with tan heels and toes, you'll have a mental picture of Dave's first hand knit pair of socks.  I made the pair pictured above in 2009 for our anniversary, using the simple stockenette starter pattern from the book, Knit socks.  This book, by Betsy Lee McCarthy is the perfect book for beginner sock knitters.
By Christmas of 2007, I was brave enough to knit dress socks, and using thinner yarn.  This pattern, called  Gentlemans Sock with Lozenge Pattern, is from the book, Knitting Vintage Socks, by Nancy Bush
I knitted this worsted weight pair in 2008, using a pattern from Favorite Socks, an Interweave Press book, compiling patterns from several different designers.  This pattern is called Two Yarn Resoleable socks, designed by Wayne Pfeffer, adapted by Anne Merrow.  I highly recommend this book.  Sometimes I get it down just to look at the lovely photography (yes, pictures of socks can be quite lovely).
2009 was the year for another pair of dress socks.  I knit these using a pattern I found on Ravelry, called Gentleman Socks, published in the blog, Fiber Fool, by Kristi Shueler.  Beautiful pattern, but this picture doesn't do it justice.  I was saving these for Dave's Christmas gift, but wanted a photo for my Ravelry project page, so I modeled them myself, thus the ill fit.
Another worsted weight sock for 2010.  This pattern is called Bulky Boot Socks, and can be found in The Little Box Of Socks by Charlene Schurch and Beth Parrott.  This, so far, is Dave's favorite pair.
This is the latest pair, and happens to be my favorite.  In fact, I'd label this as another pride and joy project.  The pattern is called Best Foot Forward, another design that can be found in the book, Knit Socks, by Betsy Lee McCarthy.  I modified this pattern just a little bit, by using larger needles than the book calls for.  The largest size is a mens medium, and Dave needs a large.  The size 5 needles and worsted weight yarn made that possible.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful trip down memory lane. looks like a scrapbook page could be easily made. along with the story you would need nothing else

    Looking forward to our trip tomorrow. see you in prayer meeting

    ReplyDelete