Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Rooting Pothos Cuttings

Welcome to my second ivy tutorial.  I guess you could call this a part two, or a continuation of yesterday's post.  You have cut your ivy back, now you are ready to root your cuttings.
Here is the cutting from yesterday. I removed the bottom most leaves, and placed it in a glass of water until I had more time to work with it.  As I stated yesterday, you could leave it as a long strand and it will still root nicely.  Since I like a full plant, I'll have to make some more cuts.

I've divided the cutting into three pieces.  How long to make each cut is a matter of personal preference.  Keep in mind that you will be removing the bottom leaves, and you want to leave enough stem for the cuttings to stay down in the water.

This is plenty of stem to hold the cuttings in place, but you could remove more if desired.  Remember, as long as you have at least one leaf, you will be fine.

place each cutting into a glass of water.  The amount of water is completely up to you.  I find that filling the glass to a little over half to two thirds is a good level, as it enables me to stuff the cuttings down into the glass.  I've found that ivies floating above the top of the rim easily fall out (or get pulled out by nosy cats).  Again this is just a personal preference of mine.  as long as your stems are submerged under the water, your cuttings will sprout roots.  If you are a beginner, I recommend you use a clear glass.  This makes it so much easier to keep an eye on the water level, and it also allows you to watch the roots sprout.  It is so much fun to watch the roots sprout.  

Here is a cutting I started earlier (I wish I could remember exactly when, but I can't)  As you can see it has rooted nicely.  I could pot it now, or I could put it back into the water until I'm ready and have more time.  It will not die as long as the stem stays under water.

When you are ready to pot your rooted cuttings, any small container will do.  Here, I used small, coffee-sized styrofoam cups, with drain holes cut in the bottom.  I've also been known to save pudding and yogurt cups for this purpose.  You could also save your pots from your spring annuals and use them.  No drill required :)  These small plants are the perfect size for sharing.

You could also choose to plant several cuttings together in a larger pot to make a full plant.  I used this method, during the Spring of this year, to create this Golden Pothos plant.  
The possibilities are endless with pothos ivy.  As long as you don't deny it water, it will survive and flourish for years to come.  I probably shouldn't tell this, but I've been known to throw ivy cuttings away, simply because I don't need any more ivy plants.  Please, don't hurt me...

2 comments:

  1. enjoy the information. Mine are still like I got them from the hospital and funerals. They might need help soon, keep coming over weekly and you can tell me when to do mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideally, plants should be cut in the spring at the start of the growing season, but I've found that ivies can be cut any time. I've been known to put off potting for so long that the roots like a pile of spaghetti noodles at the bottom of my glass.

    ReplyDelete