Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Monday, June 3, 2013

Knitting Kool-Aid Dyed Yarn

Three years ago, I became interested in dying yarn with Kool-aid.  I had several natural colored hanks of Cascade 220 wool in my stash, so I decided to give it a try.  I bought non-sugared Kool-aid packets in a vast array of colors and flavors, and spent several weeks transforming these off-white wools into colorful delights. Sadly, this yarn dying frenzy only lasted a short while.  It was during this time we reluctantly decided to rehome Max, only to have him escape and go missing for two and a half weeks.  This sent me spiraling into a severe depression, causing me to lose interest in yarn dying, and everything else.  I thank God every day that we found Max and later was able to bring him home! He's not going anywhere ever again!
Ok, enough of that!
To continue my story, I had stashed all these newly colored hanks of yarn.  Because I never wrote anything down, and I dyed each hank individually, there is no way I could ever duplicate any of the colors.  I had to limit myself to patterns that require 220 or less yards of yarn.  This task has become much easier with my recent scarf obsession, and I'm happy to share pictures of my first project made with yarn dyed by me. If memory serves me, and it may not, I'm afraid, this yarn was dyed using 4 packets of blue rasberry lemonade.
A close up of the lace.  Beautiful!

In this picture, I tried to shape the scarf as it would be worn around the neck.

My blooming hydrangea bush makes a perfect background.
The pattern is called 198 Yards Of Heaven, a free Ravelry download, designed by Christy Verity. Offering both charted and written instructions, this project is perfect for beginner lace knitters, and anybody who needs a quick, last minute gift.  The pattern is written as a kerchief style scarf, but you can easily adjust it bigger with more pattern repeats.  I chose to knit the pattern as written because of my small amount of yarn, I love the results!

2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful and is an amazing color. Enjoyed our afternoon and the ladies meeting together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)
    I enjoyed our day as well, and look forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete